Wednesday, November 2, 2016

RECAP, 2016

Thanks to several donors giving lump sums and several other encouraging "per-hole" sponsorships, we raised over $2,000 for the Center for Pregnancy in Friendswood!

I made several updates on Facebook and Instagram, but the end result was setting a new tournament record for holes played: 217. 

The day started very foggy. This was a shot of the green from 175yds at 8:45am.
It was a very foggy day to start, but about 2 hours into the tournament the remaining fog had burned off and it turned into a great day for golf!

The rules were a little different this year, in that most golfers started the day by playing 5 golfballs per hole. Me and one other golfer failed to get that notice, so we played for 2.5 hours playing only 2 balls per hole. After that, I went my own way and started my customary jog between the cart and the different shots, playing 3 balls on most holes and occasionally 4 balls on par 3 holes. 

Mid afternoon, with 172 holes completed, I ran into another golfer who told me about the 5 ball decision, and that he had completed 215 holes and was done for the day. Initially crestfallen that my previous record had been smashed and that I was behind the rest of the group's pace, I did a quick calculation of my remaining time. 

If I wanted to leave the course by 4:45, I had just over an hour to beat this man's record. Playing 5 balls per hole and the entire front nine of the course, I was able to get to 217 holes and establish a new tournament record. After all, as the t-shirt says: "I didn't come here to lose." 

In the end, a very worthy cause was served. Through the efforts of my donors and those supporting the other golfers, the Center for Pregnancy will continue providing essential services to new families through necessary daily items like diapers and clothing, but also through counseling, support groups, and education. I can't wait until next year, and I hope you will join me in praying throughout the year for the Center's staff and volunteers, but more so for the families that are touched through this ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment